Be Careful With Fire
- Use a camp stove for cooking. Stoves are easier to cook on and create less impact than a fire.
- If you want to have a campfire, be sure it’s permitted and safe to build a fire in the area you’re visiting. Use only existing fire rings to protect the ground from heat. Keep your fire small.
- Remember, a campfire isn’t a garbage can. Pack out all trash and food.
- Firewood should be either bought from a local vendor or gathered on site if allowed. Don’t bring firewood from home – it can harbor tree killing in sects and diseases. Many states regulate the movement of untreated fire wood.
- Before gathering any firewood, check local regulations.
- Burn all wood to ash and be sure the fire is completely out and cold before you leave.